Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Startup.com

First off, I thought the movie was a good watch, as seeing the rise and fall of a real company is something I never thought I would get to experience.  I thought that Kaleil was a rather arrogant and headstrong person, but after seeing the entire film I realize that sometimes you need people like that to keep the company on track and focused on its goal of making money and continuing to exist.  I also thought that Kaleil was being rude and shouldn't fire Tom, but after the discussion we had in class it was clear to me that he should have been gone long before then.  His attitude towards running the company was not a very productive one, with little worry about how quickly the company could suddenly go under if they weren't careful.  After our discussions Tom seems like the kind of person that would be good to start a business with, but not keep in a high level of power like he had in GovWorks.com.  The third founder, George, I initially thought to be kinda selfish, suddenly backing out and demanding compensation for what he currently owned of GovWorks Inc., but after discussing it more during class, I realize there are two ways to think of the reason for his actions now.  The first is that he thought that GovWorks.com could fail, and wanted to be sure he got money out of it before it collapsed, and the other is he had no intention of sticking with GovWorks Inc. in the first place, and once it had made a reasonable amount of money he wanted to get out with it secured.  Either way he ended up being the only person to walk away from the company with any money, so he made the correct decision in this case to walk away, but the argument could be made that he was making a bad business move backing out of a growing company.

Startup.com is a movie I'd recommend to anyone considering starting up a company, as there are many lessons to be learned that could help keep a business afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment